Change of Name

If you wish to change your name on official documents you will require a Change of Name Deed. Usually having the document signed will suffice, although some organisations require the Change of Name Deed to have been enrolled at the Royal Courts of Justice. 

We can prepare Change of Name Deeds at our Stafford, Newcastle-under-Lyme & Alsager offices for any person over the age of 18 looking to change either their first last or full name for a fixed fee of £150 plus VAT. 

Change of Name Deed – Children  

If you are looking to change your child’s name, we need to establish if you can legally do so.  If another person has Parental Responsibility for your child, we need to obtain their consent before we prepare the document. 

In both circumstances we can prepare the document for a fixed fee of £150 plus VAT per child. 

If the other person with Parental Responsibility does not consent, you would need to make an application to Court for a Specific Issue Order.  Such applications are charged at our usual hourly rates.   

Change of Name on Marriage and Divorce 

You do not need a Change of name deed to take on your married surname provided you are simply taking on your spouse’s surname. Some organisations will require a Change of Name Deed if you wish to double barrel your married surnames.  You do not usually need a Change of Name to revert from a married name to a maiden name.  Your Birth Certificate and Decree Absolute should suffice. However, some organisations will require a Change of Name Deed in those circumstances.

If you would like to discuss this further please do not hesitate to speak to one of our friendly team members on 01785 252377 for Stafford appointments, 01782 987551 for Newcastle-under-Lyme or 01270 446260 for Alsager appointments.