Breach of Contract - Individual

We enter into contracts all the time, often without even realising that we have done so.  If you have an agreement with a company or another individual and they don’t perform their part of that agreement, then you may be able to claim compensation.

Our Dispute Resolution Team in Stafford, Newcastle-under-Lyme & Alsager can give you help and advice as soon as difficulties arise.  Often this early intervention can help to resolve the dispute quickly and in the most cost-effective way.

Do I have a contract?

If you have made an agreement with a person or company to perform a task or provide a service for an agreed fee then you probably have formed a contract. 

An example would be instructing a plumber to fit a new bathroom in your house, but then finding that the work was not up to a decent standard.

To form a contract there also needs to be an intention to form legal relations.  This means that the agreement has to be more than simply a loose arrangement between people, which was not intended to be formal.

Does a contract have to be in writing?

Many people believe that a contract must be in writing, but this is not always the case.  Contracts can be made by verbal agreement and breaches of a verbal contract are enforceable.

What can I sue for?

The aim of making a claim for breach of contract is to put you in the position you would have been if the contract had been performed correctly.  In most cases this means the Court ordering the party in breach to pay damages to the successful party.

The Court will not make an Order that puts you in a better position than you would have been if there had not been a breach of contract.

How much will Court proceedings cost?

The cost of making a claim depends on the level of your losses and whether the claim is defended by the other side.  Our specialists will be able to provide you with an estimate of costs at your initial meeting and will keep you regularly updated as the case progresses. 

If you succeed in a claim valued at more than £10,000 then your opponent can be ordered to pay a proportion of your legal costs in addition to any compensation payment.

Do I have to start Court proceedings?

The simple answer is “No”.  Often the best result for a client is to negotiate a settlement without beginning Court proceedings.  Our Dispute Resolution experts are focused on finding the best solution for you and will use their experience and skills to get the result you need without a costly legal battle.

If you believe you have a breach of contract claim please do not hesitate to speak to one of our friendly team members on 01785 252377 for Stafford, 01782 987551 for Newcastle-under-Lyme,  or 01270 446260 for Alsager.