Steve is the Head of our Business and Disputes service, an experienced Solicitor who qualified in 1988. His work covers the commercial and corporate fields as well as that of commercial, residential and property disputes.
Steve can advise in relation to:
- Corporate - Company formation; Shareholder Agreements; Cross Options and any other corporate related matters
- Business - share or asset sales or acquisitions, joint venture agreements, partnership matters, acting for a wide range of local businesses
- Commercial Business - consumer and business contracts, terms and conditions, sale and supply of goods, supply of services, review of internal compliance
- Landlord & Tenant - enfranchisement, right to manage and recovery of possession
- Trusts of Land - co-ownership issues or anything of a contentious nature where Steve is considered an expert given many years in family and property law
- Commercial property and general civil litigation - Landlord & Tenant disputes, other property disputes, contract disputes, neighbour disputes, party wall disputes and boundary issues, trespass issues
Clients: Steve acts for a wide range of clients from individuals to corporations, a number of SME's, health organisations such as Vets, Doctors, Dentists and Opticians, from local engineering firms to public schools. His clients and colleagues describe Steve as "a first-class lawyer, reliable and pragmatic with excellent communication and client care skills".
Steve's Approach: Steve works closely with Debby Hackney and her team, who are becoming known as regional leaders for the quality of their work, client care and standards of service. Steve is happy to see clients at their business premises and is a straight-talking lawyer. Steve has the ability to get to the heart of the issue very quickly and is committed to achieving the best for his clients but to do so in a way that produces an efficient, fair and positive result. His training and experience as a collaborative family lawyer have given him the negotiation skills to help his clients avoid costly court proceedings where possible.
Accreditations: Steve was elected to Resolution's National Committee in 2009 and served as a Director until 2014 (for 4 years as National Treasurer). He has worked on a number of other committees for Resolution and chaired their Cohabitation Committee for several years actively campaigning for improvements in family law. He has appeared on national radio and TV and was a studio guest on BBC Radio 4 Money Box Live.
Current memberships include Institute of Legal Finance and Management (Fellow) and Steering Committee for the Keele University Community Legal Companions (CLOCK) scheme.
Personal Background: Steve has experience as a trainer, writing and speaking on a range of family law and legal topics. He has co-authored several books. In 2012, Steve was awarded an "unsung hero" award by The Law Society. Recipients of this award are "Solicitors who give much of their time and effort working on behalf of the legal profession, seeking neither recognition nor awards, but quietly work to support their colleagues and local communities".
When not working, Steve enjoys relaxing with a good book, films and the occasional holiday. He also likes a good glass of red!
Post Qualification: After qualifying in 1988, Steve joined Nowell Meller in 1994 to strengthen the family team. He is not afraid to give firm advice where this is needed.
Advocacy Skills: Steve usually appears as advocate in his own cases and has conducted fully contested trials in both the Family Court and County Court believing that a good knowledge of his case and of the people involved makes for a much better outcome than instructing a stranger to represent his clients on the day of the trial. Although an experienced litigator, most of Steve's cases settle outside of the court room.